It is no secret that the market is saturated with all kinds of fitness and health apps - some good, some bad, some mediocre. However, if you want to get in shape and do not know where to start, an app is typically the go-to choice because it offers a quick and convenient way to get going.
Among the many apps on the market, Freeletics stands out precisely because it offers many benefits and a unique training experience for the user. However, one option has become particularly interesting, and that is bodyweight training.
We have put together this quick review to help you make the most informed decision. So without further ado, let us get started.
What is Freeletics, and how does it work?
Freeletics is an all-in-one fitness app that asks questions, tracks your performance, and creates programs that suit your needs, wants, and goals.
Once you download and install the app, you are prompted to answer some basic questions about yourself. In doing that, you provide the app with actionable data to custom-tailor a plan for you. Typically, the questions are along the lines of:
- What is your current fitness level on a scale of "not fit at all" to "really fit"?
- What are your top three fitness goals?
- What is your preferred training style - using your body weight, running, or with a barbell and weights?
The questionnaire takes less than a minute to complete. By extension, the app also gathers data for the type of equipment you have available (if any). Once you go through the questionnaire, Freeletics provides you with unique journeys to embark on. Each journey represents a training program you can start and typically takes between six and twelve weeks to complete.
You can learn more about each journey by clicking on them before choosing. If you later find that a program does not work well, you can change course and start over. Alternatively, if you enjoy a given journey a lot, you can repeat it once it is done.
Freeletics Quality and Choice of Workouts
The app is very well-built and intuitive – no surprise. It was also awarded the "Editors' Choice" and "App of the Day" in Apple and Google Play Store. The app's ratings are also positive, with 4.6 out of 5.0. But let us have a look at the app itself.
As you first start using it, you feel that the app tailors training programs to you and not the other way around. There are many workouts to choose from and over 900 workout variations, each covering all your major muscle groups. The quality of workouts is good, and they are typically a mixture of strength and conditioning work. Activities also include built-in warm-up sequences, an active cooldown portion, and progression. You will be able to try different options until you find what you enjoy best.
The interface of Freeletics is clean and straightforward to use. All you need to do is tap the screen. You are then presented with a video demo of each movement and have the option to follow along with the recommended number of reps. Their video tutorials become very handy for exercises you do not know yet. You can learn while training.
How to get started with Freeletics
Getting started with the app is relatively simple. Here are the six steps you need to follow:
1. Download the app from your app store of choice.
2. Register an account by adding an email address and password.
3. Answer some crucial questions inside the app:
- Your sex
- Fitness level
- Top 3 goals
- Preferred way of training (bodyweight, running, and with weights)
- Which days of the week you want to train
4. Review your Training journey. Once you have answered all the necessary questions, the app will present you with training journeys. You can review each journey and pick the one you think would suit you best. The app also allows you to give up on a journey, try a new one, or re-do one you've enjoyed before.
5. Perform your first workout, and do not worry about anything. Each session comes equipped with a warm-up, and you are presented with video demonstrations. You can learn how to perform each movement on the go, ensuring the best possible results and the lowest risk of injury.
6. Log your first workout inside the app and watch as Freeletics comes up with adjustments and improvements for upcoming sessions. This is possible thanks to the app's intuitive design and ability to gather feedback from its users. As you finish a workout, the app asks you to rate how difficult it was. Based on that, it adjusts the difficulty for upcoming sessions, creating a tailored experience.
In essence, the Freeletics app is straightforward to use, and you can get started with it in just a few minutes. Most of the plans are well-suited for people with little experience who do not have access to much training equipment. It is best to pay extra attention to your training form to avoid injuries.
Unlike other apps, Freeletics offers an option for people who want to master a particular exercise, which is where coaches come in. Skill progression workouts show you precisely what you need to master new and cool movements. The best part is that you do not have to think about anything. All that is required of you is to stay consistent and follow the plan as it is laid out.
Is Freeletics free?
You can download the app, register, answer questions about yourself, and access a list of exercises. Each exercise comes with a short video demonstration, free of charge. But, if you are interested in accessing training journeys, you will need to pay for a subscription.
You can choose between 3 months ($34.99), 6 months ($59.99), or 12 months ($74.99). The price breaks down to:
- Less than $3 per week for the 3-month model
- Around $2.50 per week for the 6-month model
- Only $1.44 per week for the annual plan
There is also a nutritional version of the Freeletics app that offers meal plans, recipes, tips, and more. You can register for free, but it also offers a paid subscription model if you want full access. This adds on about $1/week, depending on how long you sign up for. Beware, it automatically renews.
Freeletics promo code
What if there is a way to get some additional Freeletics discount? Thanks to our partnership with Freeletics, you will receive an extra 30% off from your next coach subscription. Ready to become a Freeletics member?
Please note, the discount needs to be redeemed on the website, not within the app store.
Our thoughts on the App
So, how effective is Freeletics? Taking the plan seriously and following the app's instructions will help you get in shape. The app is highly customizable, relatively flexible, and is almost like having a virtual personal trainer. Depending on your schedule and life stressors, you can adjust your training from week to week (or day to day). Freeletics might be better for endurance than strength, though.
Is Freeletics something for you? If you mostly care about general fitness, working out at home or while traveling, this might be something you want to test. Fitbod or Alpha Progression could be exciting apps to check out if Freeletics is not precisely what you are looking for.